Got your attention?
Over the last few weeks, I’ve been in charge of sewing up bloomers for the Wench Posse to wear under their garb for renaissance festivals. The Chick (the woman behind the link lurking behind “Posse”) was glorious enough to cut them out (hate cutting, prefer sewing). I assembled 8 completely, 2 almost entirely, and two halfway. The “two halfway” are mine, and therefore was in no hurry. I tell ya, it’s almost effortless to sew 12 bloomers when you only need to cut 2 of them.
Cupcakes, turtles, a monkeys. The turtles were cursed. Yes, the picture was taken in my kitchen…. It’s the only room in my house with light, let alone natural light.
Georgie is going all Mardi Gras for the Day of Wrong at Bristol this year, hence the beads.
Georgie’s second bloomers are peppers that say Hot Stuff. Because she is. Princess A has the cutest, cutest bloomer fabric EVER. See?
I would like to take this moment to apologize for the craptacular pictures. I knew I wanted pictures of the bloomers. But I lost my camera. I scoured and scoured and scoured, but could not find. Then finally, yesterday morning, just before I was heading to work with a bag full of unphotographed bloomers to be delivered later, I noticed my camera sitting at the bottom of my soft-sided cooler. And then I very clearly remembered myself saying, “This is a stupid place to put my camera. It’s going to fall in, and I’m not going to be able to find it.” And yet I left it there. That’s how I roll. So I had five minutes to get photographic evidence of my bloomer work. Otherwise I probably would have put them on my dress form. I promise my bloomers, once finished, will be photographed on the dress form.
Like half of Princess A’s bloomers, Larue is pirated out this year. You’ve got the Jolly Roger, the Calico Jack flag, as well as various and sundry pirate paraphernalia and phrases.
Larue’s other pirates are what is known in the fabric world as “tossed,” and because of this, I kept freaking out that the pirates were upside-down. Then I’d remind myself that I didn’t do the cutting (thanks Chick!!), so even if the pieces were upside-down, it wasn’t my fault. Because I have a history of not paying attention and cutting… oh… a lovely tropical scene with palm trees and huts….. upside-down. The pirates are, however, just haphazard, and the pieces were cut perfectly. The Chick was so excited about her “winter bloomers” that she immediately put them on to show them off.
In her extreme gratitude for making all these bloomers, Larue immediately put me back to work at the sewing machine assembling a farthingale and some bum rolls. Again. It’s amazing how much more I love sewing when someone else does the cutting. Can I hire someone to cut who works for.. I don’t know.. falafels?
There’s been an absense in posting, I know. I just haven’t had much of a chance to craft these days, but I hope to remedy that soon. I did, however, get a chance to whip up some valances (which are, incidentally, pronounced val-ances not vuh-lances or vay-lances) for our kitchen. I didn’t think The Hippy would like them at all, but he spoke positively when he returned home.
I’m actually not a huge fan of valances, and really wanted to put real curtains on this window. I debated back and forth, then while I was discussing these valances with an awesome regular to my store I realized this window needed a valance. You see, the kitchen is literally the only room in our house that gets a decent amount of natural light. The Hippy has this aversion to allowing anyone to see into our windows. I knew if I wanted to experience natural light, I HAD to have valances. If I had full curtains, he would have them closed all the time. The decision was made for me.
This window was getting a valance no matter what. It’s right above the sink, so curtains were out.
I made the valances thusly:
Fabric was 54″ wide. I measured the window and divided that in three. I doubled the 1/3 measurement and added 8″ for no other reason than 8″ seemed like more than enough for my top ruffle and seam. Then I ironed the selvedges in so I had nice smooth edges. Right sides together, I sewed the tube the long way–selvedges on the ends. Turned right side out; ironed the seams. I marked the two short edges 3.5″ and 5″ from the top so I could leave a gap, then sewed the edges closed around the gaps. Then at the 3.5″ mark, I sewed all the way across the valance so it wouldn’t sag on the rod. The end. It’s easy. Go make some valances.
But really, curtains are even easier. And they look better. So make those instead.
I now have sheers to make. We’ll see how that goes.